churches in treviso
distanziatorea HOME distanziatoreb TREVISO ACCOMMODATIONS distanziatorev RESTAURANTS distanziatorew SHOPPING distanziatorer TREVISO MAP distanziatoreet IMAGES / PHOTOS distanziatorej I . V. distanziatoreyte italian version distanziatorelk

GETTING THERE
distanziatorea
TREVISO MUSEUMS
distanziatoreb
HISTORIC BUILDINGS
distanziatorec
WALLS AND GATES
distanziatored
TREVISO HISTORY
distanziatoree
CHURCHES
distanziatoref
UNIVERSITY
distanziatoreg
TREVISO EVENTS
distanziatoreh
ACCOMMODATIONS
distanziatorei
WINE BARS
distanziatorel
PHONE NUMBERS
distanziatorem
distanziatorema
CAR PARKS
distanziatoremb
distanziatoren
distanziatoreme
IMAGES
distanziatoremc
distanziatoreo
distanziatoremf
REPORT THIS URL
distanziatoremf
distanziatorep
distanziatorebis
CONTACTS
distanziatoremg
distanziatoreq
distanziatoremi
DISCLAIMER
distanziatoremh
distanziatorer

 
THE CHIESA DI SAN NICOLÒ (CHURCH OF ST. NICOLÒ), Via San Nicolò - Treviso
 
At the beginning of 14th century the Chiesa di San Nicolò was built by Dominicans thanks to also friar Niccolò Boccalino’s legacies, well-known as "Pope Benedetto XI". The Church was located west of the centre where the most urbanized area ended and the uncultivated lands began in Treviso.
   

The history of the Church erection was marked by the collapse of a bell tower, which demolished most of underlying chapels and by an interruption caused by plague, which affected Treviso in the first half of 14th century.

The Chiesa di San Nicolò represents a moment of transition between the strong Romanesque style and the Gothic style from transalpine provenance by its simple forms, but stretching upwards, by massive outside walls which are interrupted by thin embrasures.

antonio nani's engraving church of st. nicolò
The Chiesa di S. Nicolò - 1846
Antonio Nani's engraving Chiesa di san Nicolò (Biblioteca Comunale di Treviso)
   
The columns, dividing the indoor space up into three naves, support the timber roof with circular section; but they are also the background of some frescoes by Tomaso da Modena (the second column on the left) and by other painters of his school.
   
photos chiesa di san nicolò st.

The naves of the Church end with three apses; the main is the presbytery where you may see a sculptural part by Antonio Rizzo and the pictorial part by Lotto.

You may see an organ by Gaetano Callido (1778 - 1779) and near a wide fresco representing St. Cristoforo as far as the trusses on the external wall of right nave.

In the next Dominicans chapterhouse there is a wide fresco which covers whole perimeter of the broad room, it represents the distinguished Dominicans, everyone is portrayed inside a own niche - private room.

 
Tomaso da Modena makes this wide fresco, which represents a period of stylistic and iconographic reconsideration of way of representing in grotesque manner.
In the half of 19th century the Chiesa di San Nicolò was restored thanks to also funds allocated to preserve the artistic heritages.
Thus the roof and the ceiling were replaced and the red marble from Verona was used to floor the church; the extensions, which didn't agree with the style of building, were removed.
   
Unfortunately the church was bombed heavily in the Second World War, in 1944 some strong bombings caused the breaking down of the roof and the demolition of a part of bell tower.