st. agnes church in treviso
distanziatorea HOME distanziatoreb TREVISO ACCOMMODATIONS distanziatorev RESTAURANTS distanziatorew SHOPPING distanziatorer TREVISO MAP distanziatoreet IMAGES / PHOTOS distanziatorej I . V. distanziatoreyte italian version distanziatorelk

GETTING THERE
distanziatorea
TREVISO MUSEUMS
distanziatoreb
HISTORIC BUILDINGS
distanziatorec
WALLS AND GATES
distanziatored
TREVISO HISTORY
distanziatoree
CHURCHES
distanziatoref
UNIVERSITY
distanziatoreg
TREVISO EVENTS
distanziatoreh
PESCHERIA
distanziatoreh
ACCOMMODATIONS
distanziatorei
WINE BARS
distanziatorel
PHONE NUMBERS
distanziatorem
distanziatorema
CAR PARKS
distanziatoremb
distanziatoren
distanziatoreme
IMAGES
distanziatoremc
distanziatoreo
distanziatoremf
REPORT THIS URL
distanziatoremf
distanziatorep
distanziatorebis
CONTACTS
distanziatoremg
distanziatoreq
distanziatoremi
DISCLAIMER
distanziatoremh
distanziatorer

distanziatoreml  
THE CHIESA DI SANT’AGNESE (CHURCH OF ST. AGNES), Borgo Cavour - Treviso
 
In the history of Treviso the presence of an ancient church dedicated to St. Agnes is reported before 1268, it was situated in front of the present Collegio Vescovile Pio X many centuries ago.
In 1529 the Pope Leone X gave the Lateran Canons this first church by an appropriate decree of his; the Lateran Canons were been received inside the Walls of Treviso only during the war of Cambrai.
In fact their old church, dedicated to Santi Quaranta (Forty Saints), was located in the zone of San Giuseppe, this church was built for will of the bishop Odorico III and then it was destroyed in 1518.
   
antonio nani’s engraving about chiesa di sant’agnese st. agnes
Chiesa di Sant’Agnese - 1846
Antonio Nani’s engraving.
(Biblioteca Comunale in Treviso)
distanziatoremo

The Lateran Canons built the cloister in the place where today there is the present Istituto Besta; they raised also the church dedicated to Santi Quaranti (Forty Saints).

In 1613 this church was built again by Andrea Pagnossin’s plans, according to Federici, and it was often attributed to Palladio due to its harmonious style.
When the Lateran Canons left Treviso, the Complex was guarded by the Cathedral Canons; thus in 1778, when the first Chiesa di Sant’Agnese (Church of St. Agnes) was demolished, its name went to Chiesa di Santi Quaranta (Church of Forty Saints).

   
Indoor the church it is possible to see interesting and artistic works as the Trevisan Ascanio Spineda’s painting made in the 16th century, Antonio Pieri’s canvas, called "lo zoppo" (the lame person), made in the 18th century and the Francesco Maggiotto’s painting, made in the 18th century.
The present marble floor has Gothic motifs and it took the place of the original floor lately.
The fašade of the Church of St. Agnes has four pilasters with Corinthian motifs outside; above the fašade there is a triangular pediment which holds statues of St. Giovanni Battista, of Redentore (Redeemer) and of St. Agnes.
 

The church inside, as other smaller churches of Treviso, has a single nave emphasized by pilasters with Corinthian motifs, which have Doric capitals on the top.

There are two altars, located on every side of the church sideways and there is the main frontal altar, which has baroque motifs; all the altars are made by many different marbles, by inlays and by cherubs situated above their volutes.

On the first right altar the ancona represents the martyrdom of St. Agnes; the last studies confirm the fatherhood given, in the past centuries, to Antonio De Pieri, called "the zoppo".

distanziatoregb
photos about chiesa di sant’agnese
Chiesa di Sant’Agnese
 
 
In the second right altar you may see a late canvas with "Madonna con bambino" (Madonna with a child) by Giulio Erler, then on the left altars from the entrance there are the representation of St. Ubaldo (who are releasing a demoniac woman) and near the main altar a representation of Redentore (Redeemer) who is blessing. Different colorful marbles emphasize the beauty of main altar, located behind a parapet adorned by two angels in Istrian stone.
 
On the background the ancona by Ottavio Cocchi, representing martyrdom of Santi Quaranta (Forty Saints), is adorned by a cornice made in 1729, improved by stuccos, caryatids and angels.
Other interesting works are the wooden confessional and the wooden chancel, made by skilful local craftsmen in the 18th century and the two-manual organ.