museo santa caterina di treviso
distanziatorea HOME distanziatoreb TREVISO ACCOMMODATIONS distanziatorev RESTAURANTS distanziatorew SHOPPING distanziatorer TREVISO MAP distanziatoreet IMAGES / PHOTOS distanziatorej I . V. distanziatoreyte italian version distanziatorelk

GETTING THERE
distanziatorea
TREVISO MUSEUMS
distanziatoreb
HISTORIC BUILDINGS
distanziatorec
WALLS AND GATES
distanziatored
TREVISO HISTORY
distanziatoree
CHURCHES
distanziatoref
UNIVERSITY
distanziatoreg
TREVISO EVENTS
distanziatoreh
PESCHERIA
distanziatoreh
ACCOMMODATIONS
distanziatorei
WINE BARS
distanziatorel
PHONE NUMBERS
distanziatorem
distanziatorema
CAR PARKS
distanziatoremb
distanziatoren
distanziatoreme
IMAGES
distanziatoremc
distanziatoreo
distanziatoremf
REPORT THIS URL
distanziatoremf
distanziatorep
distanziatorebis
CONTACTS
distanziatoremg
distanziatoreq
distanziatoremi
DISCLAIMER
distanziatoremh
distanziatorer
COOKIE POLICY
distanziatorea
PRIVACY
distanziatorea

 

SANTA CATERINA MUSEUM (The Museum of St. Catherine), Via Santa Caterina - Treviso

 
 
 
The works of construction of the Church and of the monastery, today main seat of Musei Civici in Treviso, began in 1346 in the place which had been given over to "piazza della legna" and where there was the Da Camino’s Palace long ago; then this building was demolished by anger of the people in 1318.
   

The construction of the Church, begun when Andrea Cornaro was lower court judge, was completed only at the end of 14th century after many interruptions.

The Cappella degli Innocenti (so called to remember exactly the Innocents sacrificed by Erode) was added to St. Catherine’s Complex; it is expected that this chapel has been part of pre-existent Palace.

Since then its use was changed several times over the history becoming Church of Convento dei Servi di Maria, dedicated to St. Catherine and then seat of other religious orders.

photos museums churches st. museo civico santa caterina
   
images churches st. chiesa santa caterina

The outside fašade of the Church is characterized by a double lancet window (located over the door) made by Istrian stone contained in a Gothic arch.

Those shapes are taken up again also inside big and single nave, which shows on its walls many beautiful frescoes we may admire also on two ceilings of the cross vaults; these ceilings coincide with two parts in which the Church is divided ideally by a big middle round arch.

During the Napoleonic occupation, in the first years of 19th century, the Complex of St. Catherine became military arsenal, from 1820 barracks and then, till the last war, seat of Military District.

   
During its history the Complex was restored some times, the most considerable restoration dates back to the end of 16th century, when it thinks that the frescoes were covered with coat of plaster, taken off only at the end of the Second World War.
   
frescoes st. santa caterina by tomaso da modena
Inside the Church remarkable frescoes are still kept, among these there are some frescoes made by Tomaso da Modena; the most famous of these is dated 1358, which portrays St. Catherine holding a model of Treviso.
The words in Latin, spoken by the Saint, are readable on the fresco easily, she is interceding for the safety of the town; the Chiesa di Santa Caterina (Church of St. Catherine) suffered serious damages which involved the main apse during the War of Cambrai.
information about treviso museums frescoes museums museo civico santa caterina information tomaso da modena complex st. santa caterina
 
The restorations have been ended since few time and thus the complex of St. Caterina became the museum seat containing the frescoes of " Storie di St. Orsola " inside by Tomaso da Modena; this work is one of the most important masterpieces of Italian art in the 15th century. This work was rescued from the Chiesa di Santa Margherita (Church of St. Margherita) thanks to Luigi Bailo’s intervention in the second half of 19th century.
   
[ the interiors and the art exhibitions .... ]