pawnshop in treviso
distanziatorea HOME distanziatoreb TREVISO ACCOMMODATIONS distanziatorev RESTAURANTS distanziatorew SHOPPING distanziatorer TREVISO MAP distanziatoreet IMAGES / PHOTOS distanziatorej I . V. distanziatoreyte italian version distanziatorelk

GETTING THERE
distanziatorea
TREVISO MUSEUMS
distanziatoreb
HISTORIC BUILDINGS
distanziatorec
WALLS AND GATES
distanziatored
TREVISO HISTORY
distanziatoree
CHURCHES
distanziatoref
UNIVERSITY
distanziatoreg
TREVISO EVENTS
distanziatoreh
PESCHERIA
distanziatoreh
ACCOMMODATIONS
distanziatorei
WINE BARS
distanziatorel
PHONE NUMBERS
distanziatorem
distanziatorema
CAR PARKS
distanziatoremb
distanziatoren
distanziatoreme
IMAGES
distanziatoremc
distanziatoreo
distanziatoremf
REPORT THIS URL
distanziatoremf
distanziatorep
distanziatorebis
CONTACTS
distanziatoremg
distanziatoreq
distanziatoremi
DISCLAIMER
distanziatoremh
distanziatorer

zdistanziatore  
THE MONTE DI PIETÀ (Pawnshop), Piazza Monte di Pietà, 3 - TREVISO
 
 
The Pawnshop in Treviso will be open to the public on October 4th, 2008 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. with free admission
 
The Monte di Pietà (the Pawnshop), belonging to Gruppo Unicredito Italiano, is one of the most interesting building in Treviso and one the less known at the same time.
This institution, developed in the history, was born to oppose the usurious loan, it gave loans with low rate of interest for goods objects left as pawn.
   
The construction of Monte di Pietà (Pawnshop) in Treviso began in 1462; the Franciscan friars worked to build it to help poor people.
The bishop Nicolò Franco, who was already apostolic nuncio in Spain, made sure the Municipality donated it also thanks to the help of the Podestà Girolamo Orio and to the Provveditori (Superintendents); the purpose was its change into the seat of Monte di Pietà (Pawnshop).
The inside spaces became inadequate in the beginning of 17th century thus its widening was decided; it concerned the rooms overhanging the Church di "Santa Maria ad Carceres" or "de la Preson" called today Chiesa di Santa Lucia (Church of St. Lucy)
xdistanziatore photos monte di pietà pawnshop treviso
The main facade of Monte di Pietà
and its entry overlooking the square with the same name. - Gruppo UniCredito Italiano
   
   
images blazons treviso
Sacristy: washbasin by Istrian stone,
the date (1557) is carved on it. On it there is
the coat of arms of Treviso, held up by
two puttos - Gruppo Unicredito Italiano
pictures frescoes madonna con bambino
Sacristy: fresco of Madonna with her child.
Beyond that wall there was the safe with
the jewels - Gruppo Unicredito Italiano
photos treviso frescoes gruppo unicredito italiano
Sacristy: the space is panelled in wood wholly;
there were the jewels here long ago.
Gruppo Unicredito Italiano
   
 
pictures frescoes monte di pietà treviso distanziatore The history of the building marked by a second widening (1561), imposed by constant needs new spaces to allocate depository of the goods and to offices for their administration. This restoration involved the Chiesa di San Vito (Church of St. Vito); the Monte di Pietà (Pawnshop) wardens’ restored the interiors of the Church of St. Vito (very degraded in that period) and they raised the tower bell in exchange for building other two floors on the Church.

ON THE LEFT PICTURE: We may see a part of the inside wall, which is shared by Monte di Pietà (Pawnshop) and by Church of St. Vito.
 
 
The Monte di Pietà (Pawnshop) worked till about half of the 18th century when another widening was necessary to face up to the chronic space lack; a new wing, parallel to public building, was constructed.
The French and Austrian rules changed the lots of this Agency (Pawnshop) in 19th century because they charged heavy rates and thus the Monte di Pietà (Pawnshop) was compelled to abandon further foreseen widening in a new seat (Piazza Duomo) besides the Monte was obliged to cut down its operation and it was proposed to convert the Monte di Pietà into a savings bank in 1822.
   
This first attempt and the other, happened after the unity of Italy, didn’t turn out well, some sound conditions allowed to a new savings bank to start off a abiding activity only in 1910.
 
[ More information about Cappella dei Rettori ... ]